While looking for your North Carolina and South Carolina best places to live, it seems the perfect time to ensure where you choose will support you in creating and maintaining not only a Green home but also a Green lifestyle.
And for many of us while we want to live a “Greener Lifestyle” it seems a daunting task to know where to begin.
So with your moving to North Carolina or South Carolina comes the opportunity to Go Green!
North Carolina and South Carolina have embraced a Green lifestyle and environmental stewardship, especially Green Building practices.
The purpose of this article is to offer you 10 simple and easy steps you can begin taking now to achieve not merely a green home but also a green lifestyle… oh, and save money in the process.
Of course to maintain a green lifestyle no matter where you live is a great thing.
Here are 10 simple and easy steps for achieving a Green lifestyle in North Carolina and South Carolina (and where you are now) in no particular order:
- Recycle and reuse: Get in the habit of recycling and buying goods made from recycled materials.
- Get an energy audit and find out how to improve the energy efficiency of your home. Look into alternative energy sources for your home. Solar panels, utilities promoting wind power or anything that might lower your overall carbon footprint. For South Carolina, look at the SC energy office website for suggestions. (www.energy.sc.gov/)
- Turn it off: If you’re not using something, turn it off. Pretty simple.
- Change your lights: Compact fluorescent bulbs save energy and money.
- Get out of the car: Spend less time driving and more time walking, running or riding a bike. Look for a community that helps you get around without a car.
- Watch what you eat: Try eating less meat and more local fruits and vegetables; local farmers will thank you, fewer energy resources are consumed and it’s healthier.
- Use less water, especially hot water: Switch to low-flow toilets, faucets and shower heads and remember you use a lot of energy to heat that hot water.
- Green building/renovation: Take a look what you can do to improve the structural energy efficiency of your home, especially state programs to encourage energy efficient building/renovations.
- Plant something: A tree or garden, anything green.
- Update your appliances: Replace old appliances with newer energy efficient models.
- Borrow: Instead of running out to buy think about sharing or borrowing . It’s less expensive and great for making friends.
Good luck in your endeavor to live a Green Lifestyle in North Carolina and South Carolina. I’ll see you there!
Bob Bencivenga is a professional site locator and location analyst for major corporations. Bob researches the growth of NC and SC to find the Best Places to Retire or Relocate that are still affordable.
Bob Does Not Sell Real Estate!
Click here for Your FREE…
© 2005-2017 Places of Value Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.